I may have slightly misrepresented exactly how calm and tidy and ordered things are at our house, by my carefully chosen pictures. Those below, of our 'conservatory', will surely put to death any assumptions about my organisational or housewifely expertise.
This room is a a metaphor for my brain. I may give the impression that I know what I am doing and that I have everything under control. I don't.
| The other end of the same room. On the right a door to the side of the house, on the left the door to the tiny shed. Stacks of Stuff and drying underwear. |
There are parts of my life, and my home, which I don't want to tackle. I put off dealing with them until they become overwhelming and such an impediment to happiness, that I can put it off no longer.
So, now you know the truth. Do you have a room which is a disaster?
Be honest. How many?
Link to pictures, so I can feel better.
8 comments:
I don't think this counts as a room "in' the house.... I think it's more like an American garage or basement which is not meant to be as organized as the rest :)
I do and I don't have rooms which are a disaster, Usually I go all out and get them all in decent shape or they're all untidy. I don't have a room which can absolutely be given over to "stuff" although if I did I'm siure there would be no shame in it being untidy. Kind of like a ju nk drawer, it's there so everything else can stay tidy!
We used to have several rooms like that until the last few years when I've been going through each room one at a time and just keep going through as the next room comes around again at the rate of about one a month. I do have one room now that's a complete disaster, but that's because we haven't a kitchen and all the "kitchen" stuff is piled up in it for the time being!
Now the garage and the shed... those are another story! That'll take me all summer to go through!
Renee, you are right.
In any other house, this would be the garage, the shed or the utility/laundry room. Since we don't have these, it's all 3.
It's also the way through from the kitchen to the garden, so on top of everything else, it's a passageway with 4 doors! No wonder we struggle with keeping it organised.
Once a year, in the summer, I try to tackle it.
Jodi, didn't Bobby have several areas devoted to Stuff? Did you ease him out of that concept? LOL!
Cynthia, one room at a time used to be my plan when I was home educating. I don't know what's happened lately!
I bet you are looking forward to having a fully functioning kitchen again!
Yes he did and does use several rooms as junk rooms, LOL. I don't though as I feel things shoulod be where they belong or at least make the most sense. I had to claim back his biggest junk area to make small rooms for the younger boys. We were using space that was needed (not an extra room) and I convinced him that people were more important than stuff. Or basically I said I am doing this whether you like it or not, LOL. I'm not even convinced anymore that he benefits from a dedicated stuff room as he just fills it and then lets the overflow end up all over the house. He doesn't make it work in a useful way such as your stuff room. He's a "messy" at heart and a bit of a hoarder and I am definitely not, clutter bugs me. I'm still trying to find spots for some of the things we took out of the room we renovated for the boys.....
We've gone minimalist, but it's still a mess! My daughter is a relentless clutter-bug(we are working on it) and leaves her little play bits in almost every room, all over the floor. Our house is a disaster most days. I now use a plastic rake to shove it all into a pile, picking up(and dumping into a bin) only when I need to vacuum.
Post a Comment