| Fresh salads with a dollop of E Coli? |
My pineapple vinegar ended in a failure. It fermented beautifully for about 10 days and then stopped, so I assumed it was ready but duh, that was just the alcohol producing stage. I was supposed to wait for another month or so for the vinegar itself to form. Oh well, I will have another go!
| My pineapple vinegar bubbling away nicely |
I found some very cheap peaches and had a bag of frozen raspberries and since we'd run out of all last year's jam, I got to making some of my and Jamie's favourite jam.
| Peach and raspberry jam |
I only made a few pots and will make more of this later in the year.
| I love slapping those labels onto home-made preserves. |
This jam is the BEST for making jam rolly polly. (3 cups s/r flour, 1/3 cup butter, rubbed in, milk to mix into a dough, roll into a rectangle and spread with jam. Roll up and drop into a loaf tin or similar. Glaze with beaten egg or milk and bake for about half an hour.)
| Rolling the jam rolly polly |
I don't often crave dessert but when I do, my thick home-made greek yoghurt with a swirl of my home-made cherry jam is just the thing. I love making things in the kitchen. I just wish I had more time to do it.
| A simple dessert of home-made yoghurt and cherry jam which I made from cherries on a friend's tree. |
While we were away this week, Jamie paid me a wonderful compliment. He said that none of his colleagues at work ate home-cooked food. They ate out, or pre-prepared food. He said I was a 'dying breed'. I know, it may not appear much like a compliment, but his Mum (who died when he was 21) was very much like this, so I knew it was a compliment. ;-)
5 comments:
I love reading about your cooking adventures. I would never even think to make my own yogurt or preserves.
But I do cook dinner most nights unlike many American that eat out a lot
What a sweet compliment :). Here's to passing on our home-made recipes to the next generation!
Renee, do you think it's to do with how we were raised? I just started doing what my grandmothers always did. It's very popular here now too, I think, to preserve your own food.
Cynthia, do your girls cook the way you do?
Your roly-poly sounds delicious! That IS a sweet compliment from Jamie. I am not a baker (or preserver), but I am thankful that we spend so many dinners together at home, eating homemade food. ( . . . even if they do all gobble it up in 10 mins. after it takes me an hour to fix!)
Kristine, I think we tend to underestimate how much relationship-building goes on during family meals. And discipling!
Post a Comment